Re: [APD] Help

Generally, well planted tanks aren't nearly as fussy about
what kind of filter you use as other tanks.  The plants do
a lot of the filtering.

Currents are good for plants.  Lots of nutrients are
absorbed through the leaves, so the water around the leaves
must keep moving to keep bringing new nutrients.

If your tank is heavily planted and lightly stocked with
fish, you can proably get by with just some mechanical
filtration and, of course, regular water changes.

With moderate lighting and not too much fish food, you can
even get by with very few water changes, but that's a
harder row to hoe unless you're bit careful about how you
set up.  An excellent treatise on how to do this is Diana
Walstad's book, _Ecology of the Planted Aquarium_ (you can
find it here

http://www.bookmasters.com/marktplc/00388.htm

 and here

http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/bookstore.html

 and at Amazon.  But that book might seem a bit too
technical for a beginner.

If you've got a back filter, go ahead and use that.  If
you've got a canister, go ahead and use that, if you've got
a sump/wet-dry, etc.

I wouldn't worry about movement -- often in nature, plants
move with the currents ;-)

Hope that helps you get started,
Scott H.