[APD] Succession of Algae in New Tanks?

In new tanks do algae go through a succession in which one species or class
tends to be replaced by another? For example, hair algae followed by
cyanobacteria etc.

I'm really interested in this question from a biological point of view. I
also am interested in that I have a new tank with a hair algae growth that
seems to have been controlled and today I noticed a couple of patches of
what I think are cyanobacteria. BTW: should I take out the rock the cyanos
are growing on and sterilize the patches? I was thinking about using
alcohol followed by hydrogen peroxide and a really good rinse. I'm afraid
that once you see the cyanos it's too late to get rid to them by spot
sterilization.

Phil Bunch