re: [APD] CO2 regulator output pressure

I also have my co2 regulator set at about the same pressure as you and it
has been working fine for 1-1/2 years now.  Essentially any output pressure
will work although most people recommend 10-20 pounds of pressure.  However,
lower pressure makes the needle valve adjustment easier (e.g. less
sensitive) which I like.  [I use the Clippard MNV-4K2]

The only concern I have ever heard for one pressure setting or another is
"end of tank dump".  This can occur after all the liquid co2 is gone and the
gas pressure starts to drop from the normal 850 pounds per sq inch which is
normal while liquid is present.  Some regulators become unstable at lower
pressure, somewhere below 600 psi and may dump the remaining gas.

Without a needle valve this can be catastrophic to fish.  But even with a
needle valve, the pressure can increase and thereby increase the co2 output
into your tank.

Best way to avoid this is to take a look at your tank pressure weekly and
when it starts to drop, refill it immediately.  That completely avoids end
of tank dump.

For more info on end-of tank dump, see three very good articles, listed
towards the bottom of my web site page on pressurized co2:

http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/AquaticPlants.htm#High%20Pressure%20CO2

Bob Alston
918.494.4913
BobAlston9 at AOL_com