Re: [APD] Peppermint Shrimp

Seweryn Bialasiewicz wrote:

They look very similar, except they have less of the side bands, are more of a muted brown than red, and posses defined pincers at the end of each feeding arm (which then the feathery filter stuff grows out of), unlike the singapore shrimp, which looks like the fan of filtering comes straight off of it's arm.
But if they are, I'm going to have to keep looking for more shrimp which eat algea...

- Seweryn

Sounds like the Singapore shrimp (aka Flower shrimp, wood shrimp).
They reach 2.5-3.5 inches, like pH around 6.5 - 7.4 and temp about 73-85F. They are filter feeders. They like to eat bits of plant matter. They can be fed enriched Artemia nauplii, frozen cyclops, powdered flake food, OSI Micro-Food and Artemia food. Also they “clean” the bottom of the tank in search of food. Need a fair amount of water flow to bring the food to them. There is a picture at:
http://www.azgardens.com/images/SingWoodShrimphotocreditUwe.gif

Later,
Bill

They can vary somewhat in color.
Here is another picture of a Singapore Shrimp that is more brown:
http://www.azgardens.com/images/SingaporeShrimp.jpg
They do like algae in their diet. I have seen then gnaw directly on some thread algae, they also eat bits of decaying vegetation. But, filter feeder shrimp aren't the best for controlling algae. They are pretty neat critters though.

Later,
Bill