RE: [APD] Fluro Tubes

Mark, both of them would probably work just fine. Generally, and I do mean
generally, you
don't want to go lower in color temp than 5000K. Ask the store manager if
you can take these
tubes home to see how they look on your tank. I'm sure if you leave the
title to your car as
a security deposity, it will be ok:) Thinking the 2 tubes together, might
make a nice "blend."

Bill

Hi All,

Over the weekend I was looking in my local hardware store for 48 inch fluro
tubes to see if I could get a better price than those from my local aquarium
stores.

The only ones that looked like they could come close at all to being useful
for a planted setup were some NEC Quad-phosphor tubes which were 5000K. It
said their tube colour was "natural". Can anyone tell me if these would be
suitable for aquarium use and plant growth?  There were also some NEC
Tri-phosphor cool white 4200K tubes as well.

Cheers,
Mark.