Re: [APD] Nitrogen source

At 07:26 PM 10/3/2003, you wrote:

Good old KNO3, aka potassium nitrate, aka saltpeter.

Some people will tell you stump remover, but I have found that stump removers that are pure KNO3 are more expensive than real KNO3. I suggest you head to www.litemanu.com and get some KNO3 and some K2SO4 for your additional potassium needs. Also if you are using a lot of N then you might need to dose P as well. Pick up a pound of KH2PO4 to dose phosphates.
Hi everyone,

I am currently supplementing my 240 gallon tank with one of the commercially
prepared planted aquarium nitrogen supplements. I test with a Lamotte test
kit.

Are there any cheaper sources of nitrogen that would be comparable to the
commercial products that I could use and still get accurate readings with the
Lamotte? I am currently using a good bit of N. Hopefully, as I introduce more
fish and the tank ages I may need to use less, but for right now it is my single
biggest additive cost.

I was wondering if one of the garden type Nitrogen sources would be a good
substitue? The aquarium supplements are pure, I assume. That would be my only
concern about using something not aquarium specific, other ingredients that
might be harmful in a planted tank.

The tank is 240 gallons, light is metal halide, sump setup, CO2 injection.

Thanks for any help!

Dave