Re: [APD] RE: Viruses and worms.

Steve Pushak wrote:

Robert Paul Hudson wrote:

Oh I am not worried about catching a virus.
I have Norton and I am not stupid enough to
open emails with attachments. My computer is clean.

Robert & everyone:

It is no longer sufficient to just avoid opening attachments & scanning for
infected files. The Blaster worm spread by exploiting a weakness in
Microsoft Windows 2000 whereby an TCP/IP port could be exploited to gain
control of the system. Many, many people were (or are) infected by the
Blaster worm and the spread has only been halted because the ISPs have begun
blocking traffic for that port. This type of worm spreads extremely
quickly!!

Only a few days ago, Microsoft posted another warning about a very similar
exploitable weakness. You should all ensure that your Win2K, NT & XP systems
are up to date with the latest critical patches.

I've had so many spam messages that I'm just now reading month-old real messages.

My problem is two-fold. First, I've been getting at least 20 messages a day purportedly from Micro$oft with some new patch. Except that Norton says those attached patch files contain worms. And when I check the message headers, they are all from different addresses, none of which look like anything I would expect to be a genuine Micro$oft address. So, I'm having Earthlink SpamBlocker reject those messages. Then, I'm getting bounced versions of the same message, to addresses I've never heard of, when I've never downloaded them in the first place! Most viruses and worms I've heard of will search your M$ Outlook address book for addresses to continue the spam. I've never heard of one looking in a Netscape address book. The only Micro$oft program on my computer is Windows itself, and besides, if I haven't downloaded the messages in the first place, they can't be looking in my address book, anyway. So my conclusion is that somehow my e-mail address has been hijacked from outside my system and someone(s) is both sending these bogus messages to me AND is faking my address as the sending address to continue the spam.

Sorry for the off-topic SPAM: Just a word to the wise.

Steve P

PS The plural form of virus is virii. Compulsive about Latin. ;-)

-- Though lovers be lost love shall not; And death shall have no dominion. --Dylan Thomas