Re: [APD] Re: Spiral fluorescents - Walter

And thus, typically, overdriving a fluorescent, which runs
the bulb hotter, other things being equal, gets you more
light from a bulb but the energy efficiency drops and the
life shortens.

And, underdriving, insofar as it tends to run bulbs cooler,
other things being equal, gets you less light and usually
less energy efficiency but bulb life increases.

Fluorescents are, imo, deliciously complicated little
packages.

Anyway, with those fluorescents meant as incandescent
replacements (Compact Fluorescents or CFs), the higher heat
can shorten the life of the ballast, which is built into
the bulb base, as well as the bulb.

If you do a caclulation for the long term, buying Power
Compacts (PCs) can be cheaper, but the CFs make an
attractive alternative to incadescents at a low starter
price.  In few ways as useful for planted aquaria, imo, as
PCs, but definitiely a step up from those contraptions of
Edison's.  ;-)

Scott H.