Re: [APD] RE: Spiral and multiple-tube small fluorescents.

--- "Petrie, Walter" <WPetrie at ThomasNelson_com> wrote:

> TCP makes a light that is 5100K that is very close to
> many full spectrum
> bulbs. (I found mine at an industrial lighting supply
> shop in Nashville, TN)

It's not so much a matter fo being full spectrum but where
and how high the red and blue peaks are.

> Someone mentioned earlier not to buy spiral tube
> flourescents. I'm not one
> to say that these bulbs are a waste of money because they
> work well for me.
> However, you could be wasting your money if you put them
> in a standard strip
> light fixture without a cooling fan because they do have
> the tendency to die
> quickly  when they get too hot. I guess this is  why the
> manufacturer prints
> on the box "Not to be used in fully enclosed fixtures"
> (i.e. aquarium
> hoods).

The ballast is built right into the base with some of these
bulbs (made to replace incandescents) and some of those are
marked "Burn base Down Only."   Those definitely don't like
to get too hot.

Scott H.