RE: [APD] Spiral and multiple-tube small fluorescents.

Higher color temp bulbs, as a rule of thumb tend to be a
bluer looking white light, *but* that's only a rule of
thumb.  It depends on the spectrum of the bulb (and
actually a couple of other details).  Fluorescents aren't
an even contiuous spectrum and peaks can be in diff places
in two diff bulbs and still yield the same overall color
temp rating.

It's not the those spiral bulbs don't work; they are just
not very efficient.

AHS will help you find the right kit for your setup, you
can email them and even get them on the phone, but they are
popular and so the phone might be a harder way to get
through.

If you tell them the kind of hood you have or it's
dimensions, they can tell you what will can fit.

Yes, the All-glass bulbs (and Marineland bulbs that come in
Eclipse hoods) look a bit bluer than most bulbs you can get
in Home Depot, excepting ordinary cool white bulbs.

The choice of color of the bulb's light is mostly a matter
of taste -- your plants won't mind much one way or the
other unless you have some especially finicky plants.

Scott H.