[APD] RE: Fittonia Vershafeltii

Just found some more info
Common names: Nerve plant, Painted net leaf.
Genus of 2 species of evergreen perennials, with freely rooting, mat-forming
stems, from tropical rainforest in South America, mainly Peru. The leaves
are opposite, with short stems and colorful veins. Fittonia is an attractive
foliage plant with leaves which bear a network of white, red or pink veins.
Unfortunately the standard large-leaved types of Fittonia are very difficult
to grow under ordinary room conditions - they demand constant warmth and
abundant moisture around the leaves. The usual advice is to grow them in a
terrarium. A dwarf-leaved variety is quite easy to grow in the living room.

Temperature: Average warmth in summer - minimum 60 F in winter.Brightly lit
spot. Keep well away from direct sunlight. Water: Keep compost moist at all
times but never waterlogged. Reduce watering in winter. Use soft, tepid
water. Misting is necessary. Propagation: Take tip cuttings in spring, or
layer. stems in spring and

Water: Keep compost moist at all times but never waterlogged. Reduce
watering in winter. Use soft, tepid water. Misting is necessary.

Looks like it would not be good for aquariums

A few more links on it
http://pss.uvm.edu/pss123/folfitt.html
http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/Foliage/folnotes/fittonia.htm
http://www.flowers.org.uk/plants/plantfacts/fittonia.htm  Leaves will rot if
roots become to moist

Come visit our webboard by click below or click on the picture for our
website

http://aquatic.yupapa.com/phpbb/index.php

Marc
  _____