Re: [APD] Closing up for the night - or Nyctinasty

Could be a matter of a threshold limit to some stimulii, such as a certain amount of CO2 or O2 in the cells.

- Seweryn

Interesting. What triggers this cycle if it's not light? I know that in animals various glands or parts of the brain control these rhythms. A couple weeks ago, I heard an NPR story that told of recent discoveries in animals that in addition to these, each organ has its own 'clock', though they didn't go into what controls it, or even what that 'clock' is. I assume there must be some biochemical change in the plant that causes the leaves to fold up - do we even know what triggers it or what the actual chemical change is?