Re: [APD] Re: Help with lighting choice

I'd look seriously at metal halide.  While the previous posters have voiced
reasonable concerns regarding heat, I think the benefits in terms of quality
of light and tank appearance more than warrant the use of the bulbs.  Most
of the tanks I'm lighting are growing corals (I've been doing plant tanks
for about 10 years, but have gotten heavily into reefkeeping as well), and
utilize much higher light levels than are generally seen in planted tanks.
My current tank is a 37 gallon (24"x18"x21") and uses a 250w Iwasaki 6500k
metal halide and 2 65w PC actinics (about 10.2 watts per gallon) in an
open-backed hood that is about 12" tall, with no chiller and no major heat
problems that can't be solve by running the tank at night when 100 degree
temps hit Denver where I live.  There is a single 4" fan.  The metal halides
will do a far better job of growing short stuff like Glossostigma, as
they'll do a much better job of punching through the 24" of water.  They
also provide a much more complete spectrum than any type of fluorescent.  As
long as the hood is tall enough to get the bulbs 6-8 inches off the surface
of the water, you'll be OK, and, contrary to many horror stories, the bulbs
can handle the occasional splash with no problems (according, anyway, to the
salt I have to clean off mine).  I haven't ever run any sort of shield or
glass cover on any of my halide equipped tanks, and don't really see a need
to.  Alternatively, you could use 70 or 100 watt halides, and supplement
with VHO to get the color mix you like.  I like VHOs better than PCs, having
used both extensively, as I think the VHOs grow stuff better and look
better.  This is, of course, entirely subjective.  I don't personally like
the yellowish cast of the lower Kelvin PCs.  As for VHOs being an outdated
technology, they may be older, but work just fine, and the bulb replacement
costs are comparable or slightly lower than PCs, depending on where you buy.
Check out the Fulham ballasts available online (the Workhorse 7 is a great
model) for cheap ($35?).  These are the same ballasts utilized by AH Supply
and, if I understand correctly, Custom Sea Life, so the reputation for
aquarium use is well established.  Hope some of this helps.  Feel free to
email more questions if you've got them.

Justin Collins