Re: [APD] Help with lighting chocie

r_m.goldberg at att.net wrote:

Hi...I'm new to the list and have a question that has been driving me nuts for the last few weeks. I have a 155 gal bow front tank, 72 inches long, 24 inches deep. I am going for a high tech planted tank, flourite substrate, dupla heating cables, pressurized C02, heavily planted from the start, medium fish load. I just can't figure out the light specifications. I'm looking for 3 to 4 watts per gal., realizing that that's not the best measure but a guideline. Here's my question...assuming cost is not the largest factor (plays a role but the the starring role) what makes the most sense for the plants. Power compacts alone ??, power compacts and metal halides ? VHO ??? I need to have the lights on the tank, not pendants..I have cats and don't want my "catfish" to be of the 4 legged, burned to a crisp variety ( maybe I'm over reacting but they love walking on top of the tank now and there's no way to stop them as the tank is next to a shortrise stairway, hence easy access.)

Any help ? Are MH over kill. I seem to be able to only find system's that have 3 75 watt MH's or 3 MH's and PC's..or VHO's. Would power compacts give the same effect as the MH's. I always loved the ripple effect of lighting with Mh's but since the water movement in this tank needs to be kept to a minimum,(not dirving off C02) then am I paying for an effect that I will not even see if I got the metal halides for the "glitter" effect alone ?

Any help or suggestions would be tremendiously appreciated as I have now entered over-analysis paralysis !!! Thanks in advance

I've got a 120 gallon which is also 24" tall and I've found that PC's seem to be able to get enough light down to the gravel for me. Although I've not planted anything like glosso in there yet. So maybe 6x96watt PC's (3.7 wpg) as long as the hood is fairly close to the water so it's not too far to the gravel.

Ron