[APD] background plants

I would like some suggestions on nice slow-growing plants to use in the background area of a tank.  I started out the tank with water sprite in the back just as a way to out-compete the algae, but now it is trying to take over and out-compete everything- I wouldn't be surprised if I come home someday and can't get into my house for the water sprite blocking the front door!  What types of plants are tall and full and won't need to be pruned twice a week?
Thanks,
Jennifer in Austin, TX