[APD] Algae blackout

I want to try a 5 day algae blackout, but am concerned about not feeding my goldfish for that long. I skipped a day of feeding them a couple of weekends ago, and they decended like ravening hordes upon my plants. There isn't much point in trying to kill the algae, if all the plants that would suck up nutrients once the lights come back on get eaten in the process...

So... what I'd like to do is turn on a light briefly once a day to feed the fish a light meal, then black it back out...

My question is:
Will this brief period of illumination each day undermine the blackout?

Maggie