Re: [APD] Re: High water evaporation in a planted aquarium

-- Dave Gomberg <dave1 at wcf_com> wrote:
50 gallon tall (see two years ago AGA Landscaping Showcase).  2x96w
AHSupply CF, CO2 (Gomberg system), all fish are algae eaters (black ruby
barbs, otos, C. hastatus) so I don't feed either (they eat the
algae).  There are a few red ramshorn snails in there too.
<snip>

Dave, that's a healthy-looking tank.  It also beats into a cocked hat whatever I thought I knew about planted tank methods.  The more I look into this hobby, the more I see there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I checked out the information on the AGA site and have a few more questions.
1.  How do you like Turface for a substrate?  I haven't seen it before, but I do use Profile.  The thing about it is, it's difficult to work with because it's too light.  Is Turface any better?
2.  Have any trouble with the barbs eating plants?

My water is not exactly distilled, but it's pretty "empty" as far as tests show- 1 deg KH, 2 deg. GH, pH 7, and the only other thing in it is PO4 .2.  How's that compare with SF?

James