[APD] surge protectors

Do the whole house surge protectors essentially just block everything from
the house for a certain number of "hits" and then have to be replaced like
the $20 MOVs?  Are they more effective or just simpler because you can
protect the entire house with one piece of equipment?   We haven't had many
problems with lightning even with all the rock on our property although I
made regular trips to Circuit City when I lived in Huntsville, Alabama!

Daphne