[APD] RE: Begging limitless questions

> From: "Poe Lim" <phlim at iinet_net.au>
> Subject: [APD] Begging limitless questions
> To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> Every living things has an upper rate at which they will grow;
> even in ideal
> conditions, with unlimited nutrients, the plants will grow at a certain
> maximum rate, and to a certain maximum height, due to genetics and cell
> senescence. Nutrients are just a part of the equation.

Good point Poe.

My point about using light levels as the limiting growth input is that it
should become much easier to control algae especially in tanks where you
have a lot of slow growing plants.

I have a tank filled with Crypts with a Madagascar Lace plant (A.
madagascariensis) which seems to have a high nitrogen demand. The tank is
way over lit with half the output of 2 35watt T-8s with excellent
reflectors.

How can I put less light into the tank without wasting electricity? Will the
MLP survive in lower light?

Did I mention that Nitrogen is the key to keeping lace plants from going
into dormancy?

Steve