RE: [APD] 10,000K lights -- or - tannin bomb, o tannin bomb

Inspired by this thread, I had a look at my lights, and one is 10,000K, the other one is listed at 18,000K (Hagen Power-Glo). I've got a tannin-rich tank, with some wood and fine browny gravel, and the combo of the lights look great! Gives the plants a nice rich green colour, and there is no glare from the substrate. Although besides corys, I have yet to put in any other fish, so I can't say what the lights do for fish colours :-)

- Seweryn

From: "william ruyle" <inquartata at comcast_net>
To: "aquatic plants digest" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Subject: RE: [APD] 10,000K lights -- or - tannin bomb, o tannin bomb
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:26:59 -0700

Great Scott you've got it! "Epiphany" is a wonderful thing.
How about different color glass tops and fluorescents on the
substrate? Naw, we've bruited and booted this thing enough.
Have a fantastic day,

Bill

And this too: "Black water" has an interesting affect on the appearance of the light. High tanin doesn't just make the tank darker, it seems to absorb some colors of light more than others (big surprise, duh), attenuating the blue end more than the longer wavelengths.

Scott H.