[APD] Re: # Re: Gw/NH4

On Tuesday 16 September 2003 05:11, Steve Pushak wrote:

> Maybe for truly healthy tanks, we should think about having growth limited > by light instead of nutrients?!!

Roger Miller replied:

Here, here Steve!  There is no nutrient limitation that doesn't eventually
show up as a nutrient deficiency.  Nutrient limited plants must eventually
show the effect in unhealthy growth, poor coloration, loss of leaves, stunted
development and so on.

If plants are to stay healthy and robust they cannot be nutrient limited. That doesn't mean that an aquarium has to be dosed with every chemical known
to man. The necessary nutrients can be provided through several different
pathways. It's up to the aquarist to pick a method that is appropriate to
the light and CO2 levels that they provide, the type of plants they choose to
grow and the amount of time they are willing to invest.

Plants don't seem to be damaged much by moderate nitrogen or moderate phosphorus deficiencies. These deficiencies have to become really severe to actually cause leaves or other parts of plants to die. These two nutrients are commonly at less than optimal levels a lot of the time for natural populations of plants, and plants can tolerate anything but severe deficiencies without damage. Deficiencies in nutrients not commonly limiting in nature can cause much more damage. _______________________________________________
--
Paul Krombholz in sunny central Mississippi