RE: [APD] Re: Changing GH

The Seachem Flourish Tabs contain about 20% calcium and less than 0.1% magnesium. I don't think they are contributing much to your rising GH. The most likely reason for this is your top-off water. You didn't say if you used tap water for this but if you do then you are slowly increasing the GH, and probably the KH also. The water that evaporates has no minerals in it; they are left in the tank, but the water you replace it with (your tap water) has minerals in it. The net effect is a small but continuous increase in hardness. Relatively large, say 50%, regularly scheduled water changes will gradually bring it back down to the same level as your tap water.

As far as plants go that consume large amounts of calcium and magnesium; I can recommend the fast growers that generally come from harder waters, like Anacharis and Valisineria, would do a good job. The real way to control and stabilize the hardness though is through regularly scheduled water changes of a set volume of water. Your tap water, at 8 dGH, sounds excellent for growing plants.