[APD] two questions

First off.  I guess you can say I'm still fairly new to aquatics plants... So my first question is, what are some good books on plants?   I do presently have plants in my tank, and they're doing fairly well (after trial and lots of errors :\ )

    Secondly, I have a Java Fern in my tank,  which doesn't seem to be growing... When I bought my java ferns, I was told not to actually plant them but to let them rest on top of the substrate... doesn't seem like it's growing, nor dying. what could I do to help it grow better? my other plants are doing fine.

Thanks in advance,
         Derek.