[APD] Re: CO2 off at night

Tomoko Schum at tomokoschum at knology_net wrote:

> During 2001 convention Takashi Amano ...
> told me to inject CO2 on the "output" side of my
> Eheim filter by punching a tiny hole and sticking my CO2
> line into the green Eheim tubing. (His reason of bypassing
> the filter was to protect delicate tiny rotifer like
> microorganisms that live in the filter environment from the
> acidifying effect of CO.)

With all due respect to the master, I don't see how the pH can vary to any
significant extent between a properly working canister filter and the tank,
unless the CO2 is being consumed or driven out of the tank water at very
high rates.  Even at a modest 50 GPH, a typical canister filter will turn
itself over every 20 minutes, so the filter water is constantly being mixed
with tank water.

Dan Dixon