[APD] Re: Changing GH

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 07:29:23 -0700
From: "Rachel Sandage" <rachelsor at hotmail_com>
Subject: [APD] Changing GH
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

I add Flourish Equilibrium to bring my GH up from 1 to 5. This seems to be helping my crypts and nymphaea not to melt. I am curious, though. Should I be able to see a drop in the GH over a week? Should I be adding more between water changes?

Thanks,
Rachel

I have used it, too, Rachel. [*Seachem* "Equilibrium," that is. Mine doesn't say Flourish.] The last two places I have lived have had water entirely to soft for healthy fish or plants. The "Equilibrium" at least gives me an analysis so I know what I'm adding.

Any trace of salt, in too-soft water, will kill plants and weaken most fish, as living cells apparently need some Ca/Mg for proper metabolism to offset the monovalent ions like Na and K. In Modesto (tds<35ppm), any trace of salt always killed my Java Moss and Ferns, despite the fact that they are usually collected in somewhat brackish estuaries, commercially.

Adding a bit of "Equilibrium" turned them to lush growth, rather quickly. The green looked much nicer than the earlier brown. :-)

Unless you have plants that eat gobs of the Mg/Ca, the GH should not drop with time. Just add the right proportion to change water and it should be quite stable.

Folks who live in hard-water areas are lucky. They can blend in RO and still have all the essential trace elements.*

Wright
*My chief engineer used to say, "Always cut it too short. You can always weld it, but what the hell are you going to do if you cut it too long?"

--
Wright Huntley -- 760 872-3995 -- Rt. 001 Box K36, Bishop CA 93514

Education is what you must acquire without any interference from your schooling. -- Mark Twain