[APD] CO2 question

I have noted that I use a great amount of CO2 during the summer. I figured
it is from the increased diffusion as my house gets very hot and the water
stays around 90F/32C. I wanted to know what other folk do during these hot
months. A chiller is not in my budget nor is moving to a place with central
air<g>. My cardinals don't seem to mind the heat. But a large percentage of
my otos have died I presume from the heat. I have bells and whistles. CO2
with a pH controller. I use RO water but my gravel has some shells (I
know... I didn't notice them until too late) so the KH goes from less than
one in the RO container and stays around 5-6 in my aquarium. I usually do
25% water chance every 3 days. Ph usually 7.2. It is set to range around
6.85 to 7.00.  Please don't anyone test me on the sigfigs<g>. It is apparent
that except for in the evening I am unable to keep the CO2 in the range I
like. I suppose I have another question. Do most of you using CO2 turn it
off during the dark cycle? I leave mine on since the pH will rise to mid 8's
close to nine. The fish don't seem stressed, even when I have run out of CO2
and the pH was mid 9's. Well the java fern did turn black, and the Rotala
Mac. Looked sunburned, but the fish were fine (I think). It just seems to me
that pH swings would be stressful.

And for the newbies out there, every hobby has its own jargon and
vocabulary, learning this is just as much of the hobby as becoming adept at
growing plants and managing water parameters. It is also a unifier, like a
"secret" handshake. LOL goodluck

About to head to the Mall in blazing Los Angeles

Larry Jones
ljones at usc_edu