[APD] Re: tapwater NO3 survey

Charley wrote in response to Shireen's tapwater nitrate survey:

Fort Collins, CO, USA, from the "Fort Collins
Utilities
Drinking Water Quality Report", we have:

nitrate, ppm:
                     MCL:  10
                    MCLG:  10
  Highest level detected:  0.138
                   Range:  0.13-0.138
          Meets standard:  Yes
          Typical source:  Runoff from fertilizer use;
                           septic tank leachate

So, we're a little higher than you (10 instead of 9),
but this is largely an agricultural region.  And, it's
offset by the fact that we have very soft water, so
I have no trouble growing most any plants, as long
as I provide adequate lighting (I never could keep
mollies, though).

Actually, Charley, your water had no more than 0.138ppm nitrate during the testing period. Not much at all. The MCL figure of 10ppm is the "maximum contaminant level" allowed by Uncle Sam, and MCLG is the "maximum contaminant level goal," which is usually the same or lower than the MCL. I think MCLG's formal definition is something like "the level below which no known health risks exist." 10ppm NO3 is the standard for potable water in the US, but I don't think it's uncommon for some areas to be above that. I recall trading posts with someone on this list that had something like 50ppm in his water.

To answer Shireen's survey question, my water co. says nitrate is 0.25 to 0.53ppm. I'm a little jealous of 9ppm since that'd keep me from having to dose so darn much KNO3.
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee