Re: CO2 cylinder

Keith said:

> After a series of goofups by my CO2 supplier I was left
> with an empty
> cylinder and a week wait until another refilled shipment
> came in. To tide me over he
> gave me a full  5lb fire extinguisher cylinder. I
> hesitated but went with it.
> When I attached the regulator and opened it up the
> pressure shot up to
> 1800psi! The hair on the back of my neck stood on end,
> 800 psi is what I usually see
> on a regular CO2 cylinder. The aquarium is in the lobby
> of a school and the
> CO2 is underneath in a locked cabinet. The kids won't be
> there for another week.
> Can I use the current extinguisher cylinder until it runs
> out or should it be
> removed as soon as possible? Safety is my concern.
> Everything seems to
> functioning OK, the fire extinguisher cylinder is rated
> to 3000psi

There should be a date stamped on the cylinder as well as
the DOT reg number under which is was tested.  The reg
number indicates the safe operating pressure and the tank
is tested to about twice that pressure.  The date should be
no more than 5 years old.  If you need help reading the
stamp, contact me off line and I can send you a link or
file that explains the markings.

Scott H.