bubble counters as pH monitors?

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:24:09 EDT
From: Dgrim62 at cs_com
Subject: bubble counters as pH monitors?

(Damian wrote)
Subject: Bubble counters as pH monitors? From: Damian Barton <daemondamian at ozemail_com.au> Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:45:01 +1000 User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20030208 Netscape/7.02 Hello folks,I once made a really crappy bubble counter which didn't last long asit wasn't very well made. However I remember I added some pH indicatortest liquid to it and it changed color dependent on bubble rate.
I'm in the process of buying a Dupla Bubble Counter for my low pressure
cylinder setup and was wondering it it was possible to add ph test liquid to the
water you put in the counter?

Could it work? If not why not?

Damian.

(end)

Hi Damian,
I assume you are talking about using a bubble counter as a tank pH monitor? It will not work because there is no contact between the tank water and the liquid in the counter. The only thing you will see there would be the CO2's effect on the pH of the test liquid, which has nothing to do with the tank.

Get yourself a chemical pH test kit or an electronic pH monitor and test the water directly.
Regards,
Dave

Thanks Dave,
I knew there had to be some reason why it wouldn't work.... I''ve been using the Tetra pH test for some time
now- you know the one that gives you cancer :P - but an electronic monitor woould be dreamy if not for the
price.

Anyone ever made a diy intank pH monitor like Duplas? I don't think it would be a good
idea.

Damian.