RE: personal goals with a planted tank

Well, I'm very goal oriented (and a lurker :-) so here goes:

1) Fun (If I hadn't already achieved this goal this wouldn't be my hobby.)

2) To maintain a certain level of natural beauty in our home.

3) To maintain a healthy balanced ecosystem for my plants and the many other
critters in my aquarium. (this is the challenge that I really enjoy and the
reason I lurk on this list.)

4) To teach my daughter the importance of nature and environment. (I grew up
in rural areas in the southeast. As a result I spent much of my time
camping, hiking, canoeing, swimming in lakes and streams, playing in the
woods, and generally developing an appreciation for most things natural. We
now live in New York City, thus my daughter (only 6 months old now but
growing faster than my plants, though I can't prune her :-)) may not have as
many opportunities to interact with nature as I did. So the planted aquarium
is one of things we try to do to bring part of nature a bit closer to her.)

5) To create an artistic display. (Wow! this is the really tough part--when
I started this project I had visions of entering this tank in this years
aquascaping contest. Alas, I don't think I'm ready for prime time yet. It
has definitely improved a lot recently and most of our visitors find the
aquarium striking. However, they are not hobbyists and have nothing to
compare it to. Thus, contests will have to wait 'til I have some more
practice and experience.)

Regards,

Dave