Rams

Hi Folks:
   I know this is off topic but I am curious.  I have
a 40 gal tank for growing out some of my plants,  with
some Rams that are breeding.  They have produced 2
clutches.  Today I noticed the male has half his head
a dark colour and the other half is normal colours.
There is a distinct line down the center of the head
from the caudal fin to the mouth.  He looks like a
custom paint job.  But even I know that is not normal,
despite the fact he behaves normally and appears
healthy.  Anyone have some idea what this is about?
   Thanks, Diana