RE: CO2, Pipe Threads and Old APD Threads

Bill (Billionzz at aol_com )
said:

> While searching for information on CO2 use I read
> current articles-post and some that where a few years
> old. One topic that people seemed to go back and
> forth on was on how to seal pipe threads.

> I was wanting to find out if this has changed any with
> time, are people more in agreement now than in the past?

> Anyway I will be putting my pressurized system together
> this week and I'm not sure if I should use compound,
> teflon tape, yellow teflon tape or whatever. Any
> comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

The problem is thread sealant material getting inside the
parts and down into the tiny orifices where it can gum of
the works.  The only real problem comes from slopy work or
less than pristine reassembly of parts.  In those cases,
pipe compound is as likely to foul tiny orifices as is
teflon tape.  Whichever you use, keep it off of the first
few threads on the male parts to ensure that none gets
inside the parts.  If you need to disassemble and
reassemble parts, remove the material thoroughy before
reassembling, including any material remaining in the
female threads, lest it gets forced further down the line.

With those cautions, you can use either and your joints
will be fine for years.

Some find pipe compound easier to work with, other find
teflon cleaner.  I've used both and find tape easier to
apply and easier to clean after disassembly -- a fine
curved needle helps.

Note that teflon tape can make it easier to overtighten.
As my great uncle Eustice used to say, "The secret to good
fitting is don't over do it, whatever it is."

That doesn't settle anything, still, I hope that it helps,
Scott H.