Sump Filter-non plant

I?m building a continuous flow system with a sump under the stand and as I
plan a couple of things come to mind. I already have a lot of tanks with
plants and this sump is on the floor and out of the way, made with gray
plastic storage containers. I would like to cover it and not use a plant
filter system. I want to save electricity and humidity without losing
filtering effects.

In your opinion is a wet dry using floss with lava rock and/or bio balls as
effective a filter as plant filters?

Would it affect the filtering properties if it were kept in the dark?

Would large sponge (pond) filters do as good a job?

Would darkness have any effect on them also?

Would a combination of both wet/dry and sponge filters be beneficial?

Thanks for your input,

Scotty

IBC: http://ibcbettas.org
A Home For Serious Betta Fanciers