Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 01:37:38 -0500
From: Paul Krombholz <krombhol at teclink_net>
Subject: Re: composition of plants

     * From: "Ben B" <benrx at naxs_net>

Where can I find a chemical breakdown of the elements in plants.  I
know it is going to be different for different species of plants, but
in general I want to know for aquatic plants, what % Carbon they are,
Nitrogen, Phosphorus, etc.....

I found the table below at
http://www.soils.wisc.edu/~barak/soilscience326/essentl.htm

This table does not include the non-mineral constituents: carbon,
hydrogen, and oxygen.  The mg/kg column is milligrams of element per
kilograms of plant material, dry weight.

Typical concentrations sufficient for plant growth.  After E.
Epstein. 1965.  "Mineral metabolism" pp. 438-466. in: Plant
biochemistry (J. bonner and F.E. Varner, eds.) Academic Press London.

Element        Symbol       mg/kg           percent         Relative
number of atoms
Nitrogen        N                 15,000                 1.5
1,000,000
Potassium     K                10,000                 1.0
250,000
Calcium        Ca                 5,000                  0.5
125,000
Magnesium Mg              2,000                   0.2                    80,000
Phosphorus P                  2,000                   0.2
60,000
Sulfur             S                  1,000                   0.1
30,000
Chlorine       Cl                 100 --
3,000
Iron               Fe                 100 --
2,000
Boron            B                    20 --
2,000
Manganese Mn               50 --                                          1,000
Zinc                 Zn                20 --
300
Copper           Cu                   6 --
100
Molybdenum Mo                0.1 --
1
Nickel                Ni                  0.1 --

Paul Krombholz in sunny central Mississippi

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---