Re: Nutrients

Hi Tom,

 First of all I would like to thank you for your help it is very much
appreciated.

>What is an Fe measurement? <

From you're above comment and other post that I have read I take this to mean
that there isn't a reliable test for measuring Fe in the aquarium. Am I
understanding this right?

>Some close approximations are all that's needed but
fine tuning is up to the user(generally not needed). You get all the other's
within a "good" range then manipulate the variable
of interest, in this case Fe.<

That sounds pretty easy, I'm sure I can get the Fe within a good range this
way.

>I use volume of traces/tank volume/time as my unit.
You can convert this into micrograms of Fe uptake per day(or some unit of
time) for the tank or weight of plant material<

You answered my question well enough as far as adding Fe but if you have the
time could you give me an idea of how you calculate the weight of the plant
material?

>Carbon is the main issue, then NO3.
If these two are messed up/limited, run out etc, generally here's trouble.<
>The run down is Light=> CO2/carbon => NO3/NH4 => K+ => Traces => PO4.
The traces/PO4 status is not clear which is "more" important for aquatic
plants.<
>But I tell folks to work from the light on down like this. Get each one in a
good range, then, progress to the next nutrient down.<
>Precise control over having enough CO2 and enough but not too much NO3 is
much more important in routine day to day plant tank keeping.<

 The above statements are very valuable to me; this is a clear guideline
where to place my priorities for good plant growth.

>So back to the main issue, carbon. <

 I now understand a lot more about plant nutrients but the issue of carbon
has lead to more questions.

>Now here's a question for you.
How do you know if you have enough Carbon or not? <

 I don't know if I have enough carbon. I can tell you that I have good plant
growth but I'm sure it isn't as good as tanks with CO2.
 I do add more Excel than the directions call for but how much I can safely
add and what the cutoff is before more doesn't affect pant growth I don't know.
The directions call for 5ml daily for 50 gallons (I am assuming my 125g tank
has approx. 100g of water) so I'm adding 15ml daily and 25ml once a week when
I do a 50% water change.

>You are pushing with the Excel, (expecting) too much I would think at this
light level. If you have less plant mass etc if might be different, but
generally speaking, I would not try this and with a 125 gallon tank I would find this
very impractical although Greg from SeaChem will like you:)<

 At this time I really can't switch to CO2 so adding is Excel is the only
option I have available to me that I know of.
 I agree that I may be expecting to much from Excel but for now I need to try
to use it with all the others nutrients the most effective way I can.
 As far as cost I pay $22 for 2 liters and I use 460ml every four weeks so
it's only costing me around $5 each month to use Excel, which doesn't seem that
bad.

>Non carbon enriched tanks are another matter.<
>The levels for a non CO2 tank are extremely wide.<
>Don't jump between Carbon enriched and non carbon enriched methods.<
>If you plan on going this route(no Carbon enrichment), then let us know. I
will adjust the advice to a large degree should you choose this path. <

 Let me make sure I understand the terminology here. A tank with Excel added
is a carbon enriched tank right?

>The levels for a non CO2 tank are extremely wide.
Substrate plays a larger role etc <

 I thought I should tell you the weird things about my tank so you have a
better idea of where I stand with it.
-   I have peacocks in it but they don't bother the plants and they do very
little and usually no digging.
-   Since this tank started of as a fish tank for peacocks my substrate is
aragonite which leaves my ph high (currently - Ph 7.4  / KH 5 / GH 13) it seems
to have dropped with the addition of nutrients because without it usually ran
between 8.0 and 8.2
-   Not that it matters but the tank also has - s. algae eaters, o-cats and
amano shrimp in it without any problem, although the shrimp do tend to hide
-   I am growing a large variety of plants, some which are recommended to be
grown in soft water only. I do have a few plants that seem to have stunted
growth but this usually isn't the case.
-   There are some rocks in my tank but besides that pretty much all of the
tank is planted.

Anyway do you have any suggestions on what I can or should do to improve the
carbon situation?

Does a lower Ph still help with carbon uptake when using Excel?

Is surface agitation still a concern for carbon lose when using Excel?

Thanks again for all of your help,
Bill

multipart/alternative
  text/html