Re:Ecology of the Planted Aquarium

 * From: "Daniel Larsson" <defdac at hotmail_com>
    *
Daniel Larsson quoted Ole Pederson:

"I am sure Diana Walstad in her book exaggerates the prevalence of true allelopathy in planted aquaria"

The problem with determining whether or not alleopathy is happening in a tank of mixed species is that one has to work out a method of having a control tank, e.g. one that has all the same species, but which doesn't allow the allelochemicals to accumulate. I wonder if ultraviolet sterilization would also destroy allelochemicals---at least those in the water column. Does anybody know anything about this?

--
Paul Krombholz in steamy central Mississippi