Not every CO2 dump is an end-of-tank dump

A cautionary tale.....

Yesterday I noticed my Eheim diffusor needed cleaning for the first time in 3 years, so I took it out and cleaned it. Prior to removing it, I shut off my needle valve, so naturally I needed to readjust it putting things back together. I set it too high, then too low, then when I was getting closer to just right, I was distracted. I forgot about that task until this AM when I noticed my fish were gasping at the surface. I soon discovered a cascade of bubbles coming out of the CO2 diffusor, so I shut off the needle valve. Now I have a few dead fish (from suffocation), an airstone running (to diffuse the excess CO2), and a valuable lesson: be darned careful when fooling with something potentially dangerous to your fish. Don't just walk off and forget about it, even unintentionally.

A word to the wise....

--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco NE5EE gomberg1 at wcf dot com
http://www.wcf.com/apbook for Kasselmann's Aquarium Plants SPECIAL