Re: Ecology of the Planted Aquarium

Brian Rippon asked what I disagreed with re his post
concerning Diane Walstad's _Ecology of the Planted
Aquarium_ .

What I disagreed with was merely the suggestion that the
book's usefullness was limited to soil-underlayment slow
grow tanks -- or that someone interested in a fast grow
tank wouldn't find the book very useful.  If I
missunderstood your meaning, I apologize for that.  The
book is much richer than a guide for slow grow tanks; it's
loaded with so much basic info about aquatic plants/aquatic
gardening, that it has much broader applicability.

I think it's one of the "must have" books for serious
aquatic gardeners, even those that do not choose to have
slow grow tanks.

Is there more info re fast grow tanks in other places?  You
bet.  Thekrib.com, George and Karla Booth's excellent web
site.  Chuck Gadd's informative and enjoyable web pages
(http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/ ), the concisely rich
reference section at
http://www.sfbaaps.com/referencelist.aspx ,
 as well as all the places to which those sites can lead
you.

I would love to see more books in the hobby like Diane's,
covering lots of subjects and methods of aquatic gardening.
 In fact, I wish most books in the hobby were more like
hers and less like post card collections.  Not that the
post card books aren't nice to look at, but well chosen
words, and some good scientific method can be worth a
thousand pictures ;-)

regards,
Scott H., who is having a severe algae problem with is wood
deck behind the house, where a black out is not practical.