Zebra shrimp (OT)

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:09:05 -0700
From: Naomi Mizumoto <naomizu at mac_com>
Subject: Zebra shrimp (OT)

Hi, All!

Sorry that this is off-topic, but I thought there might be a shrimp guru here. I actually managed to find some bumblebee shrimp, today (hooray!!!), but I also got something called "zebra shrimp." I've never seen one before, and I can't Google up much info. Is anybody familiar with these guys? I was told that they do get bigger than bee shrimp but not as big as C. japonica. And they really do have dark-brown, zebra-like striations.

For now, I'll be happy if they make it through the next 48 hours under my care, but I would like to find out more about the zebra shrimp. Thanks!

- -Naomi

It is hard to tell a shrimp by the common name as the same name often refers to different species in different areas. It could be an Atya or a Macrobrachium sp., but is most likely Macrobrachium. I have not kept them myself, but from what I've heard from others the small Macrobrachium are non-predatory, eat flake/pellet food and some algae and don't bother the plants; had to work in something to keep it on topic ;). It should be possible to spawn them if you have java moss and lots of plants. They don't tolerate ammonia well, need somewhat hard water and it is good to add a small amount of iodine to the water. The iodine apparently helps them with their molts. I use one of the marine iodine supplements at half the recommend dosage with water changes.

Later,
Bill