Java fern melt

First I did a blackout while on vacation, then broken air conditioning
required lights off (but not full blackout) for a few days to keep tank
temps to >85 degrees, and now my lush Java Fern backdrop is turning brown
and disintegrating en masse.  Does this sound like a response to the light
and temp stress, that should resolve now that air conditioner and lights
are back on, or something more sinister?  The other plants have done ok,
although the riccia thinned significantly.

--diane in st. louis