Re: Sunk in the Sump

> It seems to my that all the DIY reactors (like I'm building) run with dinky
> little submersible pumps tend to fill with too much CO2 and not generate
> enough
> turbulence for a long-term mixing. I want all the equipment and hardware out
> of site and intend using an underwater spray bar laid along/under the
> substrate within the tank for return flow. While the RXLT models of Iwaki have
> higher head and flow rate -- this model should provide enough back pressure to
> empty both a CO2 reactor and UV sterilizer should the need arise. At 540 gal
> per
> hour, this should still give me plenty of circulation and turn over, no?

1/3 to 1/2, 1/2 being better is a decent flow for a tank turn over rate.
Run a Maxi jet 900-1200.
That's more than enough.
I have a Surge 6000, should push 600+GPH at 60w if you want.

> Anyone had any experience with this model pump or with what I propose doing.
> The only part I haven't quite worked out yet is the securest connection to the
> CO2 reactor from the CO2 line. With the anticipated pressure within the
> reactor - I don't want any leaks from the connection between the two or water
> forced up the CO2 line.

It's a lot of pressure(4ft+) and a venturi line would be best(eg a Kent
venturi valve etc) plus you will lose even more flow rate teeing off the
return. Fine if you have extra flow etc.

Other wise a maxi jet+ 3x18 PVC etc with the output fed about 1/2" from the
return's suction side.

> Thanks for any comments or criticism of my ideas.
> Bob Olesen in West Palm Beach

Did not make it over to get the plants driving past Miami, have too many
marine plants in tote.

Email me off list.

Regards,
Tom Barr