Is Red Rubin tasty?

I recently got a large Red Rubin sword plant from Azgardens.com. Since putting it in the tank last Friday, its leaves have been tattered, I suspect, by my Gold Nugget Pleco. The leaves were kinda brittle to begin with because they were crusted with calcium deposits and seemed to be on the verge of tearing and deteriorating. It has started to develop new leaves, but I was wondering if the new ones will be destroyed by the fish. Anyone else have this trouble? The fish don't touch anything else in the tank.