Re: Hairy Potter

Rachel wrote:

Well, i couldn't resist, but the problem is actually hairy glass. I
have
this problem in all three of my planted tanks, which all have different
light levels and nutrient levels and stocking levels - both of fish and
plants. The algae is a very short (1/4") bright green algae which grows
very
quickly on the glass - primarily on the front glass - of the tanks. It
returns in 3-4 days after a water change/scrub. it does not grow on the
gravel. It may grow on the plants - it would be hard to tell. Almost
looks
like hydra, but without the tentacles. Reguires a little pressure to
scrub
off. Annoying! Any ideas?

What are you nitrate levels? I had the same algae in my tank and my NO3
was always unmeasureable (Due to lots of Hygrophillia difformis I
think). I've been adding PMDD for a week and a half now and the algae
growth has decreased tremendously. I think this type of algae is more
prevalent when the ratio of N to P is low. I'm noticing slightly more
green spot algae now but it's nowhere near as bad as the hairy stuff
was. Good luck.

Clint Brearley
Melbourne, Australia