Question for Tom Barr

Tom, last month you wrote an APD entry describing how to set up a Flourite substrate.  You recommended putting a thin layer of ground peat on top of a layer of detritus/mulm.  My question is this: will this small amount of peat make my water more acidic or brown-colored, or does this only happen with substrates that are mainly peat?  What function does this thin layer of peat perform?
Thanks,
Jennifer in Austin

Here's what Tom said in case anyone else is interested:
To the bottom of the bare tank add: detritus/mulm from an established tank,
roughly about 1/4 liter wet per sq.ft. This is the wet "dirt" left on the
bottom of a water change bucket after vacuum the gravel. You wait about 2-5
minutes and pour off the clear water, save the wet soupy stuff and addf this
to the bottom of the new tank. Next add ground peat, like Scott's brand etc
from a nursery, about one handful per sq ft. 2-3x this amount of both mulm
and peat if you plan on a non CO2/carbon enriched tank.

Mix with about 1 inch of flourite well. Cap this with 2 inches or more of
flourite. 3 inch if non CO2 tank. Same procedure for Onyx.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---