Re: Plants for a lake Tangayanikan Biotope

> Madan Subramanian <madans at hathway_com> asked:

> Subject: Plants for a lake Tangayanikan Biotope
> I would like to know what plants I can use in a lake Tanganyikan Biotope
> tank.
> I have Anubias and Vallisneria what other plants in addition to these can I
> use ?

Madan, I think the lake is pretty void of much vegetation. Over the years, the
only plants I've seen listed or talked about is vals. The herbivore fish eat a
lot of algae, which is abundant.

Getting away from the biotope, I've used ferns with good success. I also believe
anubias aren't part of the lake biotope, but they will do fine. I know there's a
National Geographic video out about Lake Tanganyika and I've heard it's
wonderful, but I haven't seen it yet. It's called "Jewel of the Rift". If you
can, give it a whirl, it may show some indigenous plants that we've missed over
the years.

Let us know what you find out. I've got 3 large tanks of Tanganyikans myself.

Jamie <"\\\><

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended for the addressee only.  If you have received this message in error or there are any problems, please notify the sender immediately.  The unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden.