Re: CO2, Low Light, Rust

I received two responses to my post asking what the "rust" algae was on my plants now that I've started adding CO2 to my 1WPG 29 gallon tank. Both posters said that I need more light.

So, does this mean that you should not add CO2 to a low-light tank? I had been using Flourish Excel in that tank, but honestly believe it was killing off my fish (none of the non-bottom swimmers have died since I stopped using Excel, vs 1 every couple of weeks with excel). I had thought that CO2 was beenficial regardless of light level. Should I pull out the CO2? I don't want to add more light to the tank; I am happy with the speed and lushness of growth, and the very low need for maintenance. I just wanted to replace the Excel.

-Rachel