Re: Newbie Pics!

> you using a cover glass or are you running an open-top setup?

It's currently open-top. I kept the water level down a little, and put water lettuce around the spraybars in hopes to keep the SAEs in. The center 20% of the tank has a glass reinforcement, so that part is covered.
Maintenance sure is a lot easier on an open top tank, but I don't want to lose any fish. I still have my glass tops if it looks like there are going to be problems. So far the SAEs seem quite content riding the spraybar current below the water lettuce, and hanging out in the bottom part of the tank.

Thanks for the comments Bill, and for all your help so far.

A piece of 1/8" thick acrylic a few inches high makes a great barrier. Bend it with a strip heater (or use a heat gun and be careful), and make either two "C" shape pieces or 2 or 4 "L" shape pieces such that the pieces snap into the plastic rim on the top of the tank. If you use smoked acrylic it can help cut down on the glare from an open-top tank. SAEs are known jumpers so some precautions are usually necessary to make sure they stay in the tank.

-Bill

***************************** Waveform Technology UNIX Systems Administrator