Re: Nutrient excess symtoms

> Subject: Nutrient EXCESS symptoms?
>
> I have seen a lot of posts on The Krib's archives about what the signs and
> symptoms of nutrient deficiencies in plants.  I was wondering if there are
> any signs/symptoms of nutrient EXCESS in the planted aquarium (of course,
> excess phosphorous would manifest itself as an algae bloom, but what about
> the other nutrients?).

No, excess PO4 does NOT manifest itself as an algae bloom.

If you raise and lower PO4 concentration levels over a wide range while
keeping the other nutrient within a steady range, you don't get algae unless
the PO4 gets too low or bottoms out. For example, my PO4 level is 1.5ppm
after dosing. I have no algae. So for what you said to be true, I should
have an algae bloom, I do not nor have I for many many years.
    Neither have others that dose PO4 on a routine basis and SeaChem makes a
product precisely for this type of dosing of PO4 in response to folk's
tank's needs.

> I am interested mostly in the PLANTS symptoms here,
> but, fish symptoms can be mentioned too.  Looking for any helpful insights.

I've gone up pretty high with all the nutrients and have never found any
excess nutrient problems with plants.
Excess NO3 can cause algae and especially NH4, but if independently move
nutrient concentration levels, _generally_ more tends to be better or have
no effect. Copper and other trace metals etc can cause issues.
But most folks add their trace metals all together in one semi balanced form
rather than individually. Even at 10mls 3x a week in a 75liter tank has no
effects more than 1/2 this dosage.

You'd have to be pretty wasteful and add way too much to really cause
problems. Most everyone adds too little(CO2 especially), not too much except
for KNO3 till they get the hang of things.

Fish symptoms like excess NO3, but this needs to be way out of line for the
plant's needs. CO2/Carbon enrich methods excess is more common for the fish.
PO4 and traces have little effects within the ranges folks use things.
Yes, you can go overboard with anything but you really need to try pretty
hard to do this here except with CO2/Carbon.

Regards,
Tom Barr