Re: water current EHEIM ECCO 2233 -- or - How to go with the Flow or How the Flow should go

Steve (rsahl at dimensional_com) said, in part:

> 	I just set up my new ECCO 2233. What I don't like
> about
> it is
> the output. The strait hose is just too close to the
> surface and causes
> too much turbulence. . .

> . . .  Can I use the output off this filter to run a CO2
> reactor? . . .

I use one of these on new breeder set up -- a twenty gallon
tank. The 2233's return tube is a j-tube with a 45 degree
bend at the end, so that the outlet points parallel to the
tank surface.  Hung on the tank rim, the outlet should be
about roughly 1/2 below the water surface.  At that level,
it shouldn't be causing much 'breakup' at the water
surface.  I assume the concern about turbulence has to do
with shedding CO2.  If the water isn't breaking up, the
current shouldn't hurt.  If it is, it will help shed a lot
of CO2.

If you want to reduce the current strength overall, you
need to throttle back the flow rate by turning down the
valve on the output side of the 2233.  The effect is not
linear -- when the valve is near full open, adjustments
make little diference -- when the valve is near closed,
small adjustments make a big difference.

If you just want to reduce the local force of the water
flow right at the outlet location and don't want to reduce
the overall amount of water flow, you can put a large
tubing on/over the outlet.  If the tube is open on both
ends, that will help but you have to figure out some way to
hold the tube in place -- like cram something small between
the two tubes ;-)

In fact, a small bell on the outlet end will do the job
nicely.  If that bell is something like a python gravel
tube (or a Gadd) CO2 reactor, that will do a very nice job
of spreading the force of the flow and, even more
importantly, sending the stream down low in the tank.

The output from a 2233 should be fine for that type of
reactor -- indeed, plenty for most common sizes of aquarium
in the house.  If the flow is too strong for the reactor,
add something to breakup the current -- for example, put
some bioballs in the gravel tube , er reactor.  You can
hold them in place by drilling two small holes at the lower
edge and running 1 or two pieces of plastic wire ties
through the holes.  The longer the reactor, the less like
that the flow will be too great for it.  It's only too
great for the reactor if it keeps forcing out bubbles
larger than pinpoints.  Alternatively, if the water flow is
too much for the reactor, you can split the output with a
Tee connector and send half to the reactor and half to
another outlet.

Hope that helps,
Scott H.