RE: APD format

Eric, you refer to an email digest "burster" add-in.  Do you know of such software?  Please give any links.

Thanks,

Dave Johnson

Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 08:14:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Erik Olson <erik at thekrib_com>
Subject: RE: APD format

On Thu, 15 May 2003, Matt Jarsky wrote:

> APD Format, re Scott Hieber's remarks:
> I agree with most of what you said, but I don't see any increased cost to
> making the APD available in both Digest & Non-Digest formats. Whatever bit
> of software is used to run the APD is almost certainly capable of dealing
> out messages in both formats. We shouldn't have to choose one or the other
> across the board, the choice should be up to the individual user.

Folks, there IS a cost.  Most think of it in terms of what the software
"can" do (like the above post notes), but with the number of posts that
come through the APD, multiplied by the thousand+ subscriber base, this
means that the server hosting the little list will be spending a
significantly larger time sending e-mail all day.  Add to this that
traffic will increase with people "instant" replying back and forth.  I'm
sure Mark has a lot more bandwidth these days for actwin.com, and perhaps
it isn't an issue, but back a few years ago it was pretty significant.

Once again, I recommend finding a "burster" plug-in for your mailer if you
(like me) prefer to get individual messages.  They're still sent as a
digest, but you receive them as a bunch of separate messages all at once.

   - Erik
(Who just last week added Digest mode to the AGA lists due to complaints
about too many individual messages!)

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---